Review: Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison

This article is Bilingual. To switch between RO and ENG, click on the tabs from the left side of the article.





They say first love never dies...
From critically acclaimed author Kate Ellison comes a heartbreaking mystery of mental illness, unspoken love, and murder. When sixteen-year-old artist Olivia Tithe is visited by the ghost of her first love, Lucas Stern, it’s only through scattered images and notes left behind that she can unravel the mystery of his death.
There’s a catch: Olivia has gone colorblind, and there’s a good chance she’s losing her mind completely—just like her mother did. How else to explain seeing (and falling in love all over again with) someone who isn’t really there?
With the murder trial looming just nine days away, Olivia must follow her heart to the truth, no matter how painful. It’s the only way she can save herself.


Gen: Paranormal, Thriller, Romance
Lungime: 336 pages
Data publicării: February 12th 2013 by EgmontUSA


Recenzie

vanilla-rating-5-stars
Am citit mult în ultima vreme, şi asta m-a făcut să fiu mai pretenţioasă şi selectivă cu cărţile mele. Dar din când în când, dau peste câte o carte care mă prinde şi mă inspiră atât de mult, încât devine una din cărţile mele preferate. Acesta a fost cazul cu "Notes From Ghost Town" de Kate Ellison. Dintr-un anume motiv, îmi e mai greu să-mi exprim sentimentele legate de cărţile pe care le iubesc atât de mult. Am foarte multe de spus despre această carte, aşa că sper că sunt coerentă în următoarele rânduri.

Această carte tratează o serie de teme delicate: boli mintale, moartea, divorţul, pierderea a tot ce îţi e mai drag. Protagonista însăşi simte că o ia razna, mai ales pentru că boala mintală a mamei ei e ereditară. Faptul că dintr-o dată vede totul în alb, negru şi tonuri de gri (la propriu) nu ajută deloc. Sau faptul că Stern apare în viaţa ei ca o fantomă, insistând că mama ei nu e cea care l-a ucis. Vedeţi, deci, cât de complicată e situaţia, iar felul în care Olivia îi face faţă e remarcabil. Îşi tot spune că ar putea fi nebună ca mama ei, dar exact faptul că are astfel de gânduri arată faptul că nu e. Ador personajele care sunt într-o continuă luptă cu gândurile şi sentimentele lor!
Acţiunea e lentă în prima parte, concentrându-se pe sentimentele şi gândurile personajului principal, şi trebuie să vă spun că ador genul acesta de cărţi. Mi-a amintit de cărţile britanice clasice scrise de femei pe care le îndrăgesc atât de mult (ca surorile Bronte), cu toate acele fraze motivaţionale. Deobicei nu marchez citate pe Kindle-ul meu, dar pentru această carte am 8 pagini Kindle de astfel de marcaje, şi nu doar simple fraze, ci paragrafe sau pagini întregi.

Am fost atât de prinsă de carte încă de la prima pagină, încât m-am găsit gândindu-mă la ea atunci când nu citeam. „Oh Susannah” îmi suna în cap şi chiar am cântat-o cu voce tare când mă îmbrăcam sau îmi pieptănam părul, aşa cum Olivia o auzea în minte chiar înainte ca fantoma lui Stern să apară. Mi se pare atât de trist să-ţi pierzi prietenul cel mai bun înainte să ai ocazia de a-i spune că l-ai iubit. Asta e probabil cea mai clară lecţie pe care te învaţă această carte: nu lăsa nimic nespus.

"Notes from Ghost Town" a reuşit să mă prindă complet în povestea ei. Întreaga tensiune şi misterul din carte m-au cuprins şi am citit pagină după pagină. Timpul s-a oprit şi am simţit că trăiesc tot ce trăia Olivia. Zâmbetul ei era al meu, tristeţea ei era a mea, lacrimile ei erau ale mele... la propriu. Nu-mi amintesc când m-a mai făcut o carte să simt asta.

Autoarea a reuşit cu brio nu doar să creeze această poveste unică, dar şi să portretizeze personajele şi să facă ideea fantomei lui Stern să pară realistă. Mi-a plăcut mai ales ideea Spaţiului Gri, locul pe care mama schizofrenică a Oliviei îl descrie ca fiind un loc al anti-artei, anti-sentimentelor.

Recomand această carte cititorilor în căutarea a ceva nou. Nu e un thriller tipic, nu e o carte de dragoste tipică şi cu siguranţă nu e o carte paranormală tipică. E o combinaţie foarte unică a celor trei, iar dacă eşti fanul a unul din aceste genuri şi îţi plac cărţile care se axează pe sentimente, sigur îţi va plăcea şi această carte.

Citate care mi-au plăcut - acestea sunt din ARC şi s-ar putea să difere de cele din versiunea publicată.


Think about a moment, a little centimeter of time you'd happily exist in forever, if time could be laid out along the spine of a ruler. Maybe it haunts you in that blue inch of half consciousness just before you're fully awake.



They all want to leave the Gray Space, Liv, she'd tell me. They don't realise they're dead until they remember what it sounds like to be alive.





It's not a real place, not a real thing. Mom made up the Gray Space, the place of anti-art, antifeeling, the cold dark place that felt like death. It was just her zany way of describing the place she went when she felt most depressed, when making music at all became impossible.
It isn't real.





I expect to find Stern, secreted away in every molecule of air, and at every turn.





My secret still sits, burning, in the bottom of my belly - that I love him. That I will always love him. And everything I want from him is now impossible: A normal life. A normal relationship. Wrapping my arms around him whenever I want to. Not having to worry at any moment he will evaporate.





(...) maybe the heart is an organ on constant ready, always waiting to try again, always open to the next best thing.





I wonder if that's just how it feels to miss someone so bad - like being stabbed in the gut a little bit, each time you think of them.



semnatura



They say first love never dies...
From critically acclaimed author Kate Ellison comes a heartbreaking mystery of mental illness, unspoken love, and murder. When sixteen-year-old artist Olivia Tithe is visited by the ghost of her first love, Lucas Stern, it’s only through scattered images and notes left behind that she can unravel the mystery of his death.
There’s a catch: Olivia has gone colorblind, and there’s a good chance she’s losing her mind completely—just like her mother did. How else to explain seeing (and falling in love all over again with) someone who isn’t really there?
With the murder trial looming just nine days away, Olivia must follow her heart to the truth, no matter how painful. It’s the only way she can save herself.


Genre: Paranormal, Thriller, Romance

Length: 336 pages
Expected publication: February 12th 2013 by EgmontUSA

Review

vanilla-rating-5-stars
I have been reading a lot lately, and this made me become stricter and more selective with my books. But every once in a while, I come across a book that enages and inspires me so much that it becomes one of my favourites of all time. This was the case with "Notes From Ghost Town" by Kate Ellison. For some reason, I find it harder to express my feelings about books that I absolutely loved. There are so many thoughts I have about this book, I hope I am coherent in these following lines.

The book deals with a series of very delicate issues: mental illnesses, death, divorce, losing all that is dear to you. The protagonist herself feels like she's losing it, especially because her mother's mental illness is hereditary. The fact that she suddenly sees everything in black, white and shades of grey (literally) doesn't help either. Or the fact that Stern appears in her life as a ghost, insisting that her mother wasn't the one who killed him. You can see how complicated the whole situation is, and how Olivia copes with all this is trully remarkable. She keeps telling herself that she might be crazy like her mother, but exactly the fact that she is having these thoughts shows that she is actually not. I love characters who are in a constant fight with their thoughts and emotions!

The action is slow-paced at the beggining, with a focus on the main character's feelings and thoughts, and I must say I love this kind of books. It reminded me of the British classics written by female authors I love so much (like the Bronte sisters) with all those inspirational phrases. I don't usually highlight very much on my Kindle, but for this book I have 8 Kindle pages of highlights, and not just simple senteces, but whole paragraphs or pages from the book.

I have been so immersed in the book from the very first page that I found myself thinking about it during the time I was not reading it. "Oh Susannah" was playing in my head and I actually sang it out loud while I was dressing or brushing my hair, like Olivia heard it in her mind right before Stern's ghost appeared. I find it so sad, losing your best friend before having the chance to tell him you actually loved him. That's probably the most clear lesson this book teaches you: don't leave any unspoken feelings and thoughts.

"Notes from Ghost Town" managed to fully engage me in its story. The whole tension and mystery in the book envelopped me and I couldn't help but read page after page. Time stopped and I felt like I was living everything that Olivia did. Her smile was mine, her sorrow was mine, her tears were mine... literally. I can't remember when a book last made me feel like this.
The author did great not only in creating this unique story, but also in portraying the characters and making even the idea of Stern's ghost seem realistic. I particullarly liked the idea of the Gray Space, the place that Olivia's schizophrenic mother describes as a place of anti-art, antifeeling.

I recommend this book to readers in search of something new. It's not a typical thriller, not a typical romance and certainly not a typical paranormal book. It's a very unique combination of the three and if you are a fan of one of these genres, and also like books that focus on feelings, you are sure to love this book too.

Quotes I liked - these are from the ARC, so they may differ a little from the published version



Think about a moment, a little centimeter of time you'd happily exist in forever, if time could be laid out along the spine of a ruler. Maybe it haunts you in that blue inch of half consciousness just before you're fully awake.




They all want to leave the Gray Space, Liv, she'd tell me. They don't realise they're dead until they remember what it sounds like to be alive.




It's not a real place, not a real thing. Mom made up the Gray Space, the place of anti-art, antifeeling, the cold dark place that felt like death. It was just her zany way of describing the place she went when she felt most depressed, when making music at all became impossible.
It isn't real.




I expect to find Stern, secreted away in every molecule of air, and at every turn.




My secret still sits, burning, in the bottom of my belly - that I love him. That I will always love him. And everything I want from him is now impossible: A normal life. A normal relationship. Wrapping my arms around him whenever I want to. Not having to worry at any moment he will evaporate.




(...) maybe the heart is an organ on constant ready, always waiting to try again, always open to the next best thing.




I wonder if that's just how it feels to miss someone so bad - like being stabbed in the gut a little bit, each time you think of them.


semnatura

You Might Also Like

0 comentarii

Comments